Friday, March 15, 2013

Wonka Showdown: Original vs. Remake

"Oh, well, then you know all about it an what a terrible country it is. Nothing but desolate wastes and fierce beasts. And the poor little Oompa Loompas were so small and helpless, they would get gobbled up right and left. A Wangdoodle would eat ten of them for breakfast and think nothing of it. And so I said, 'Come live with  me in peace and safety, away from all the Wangdoodles, and Hornswogglers, and Snozzwangers, and rotten, Vermicious Knids." -Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

"Once again you really shouldn't mumble, 'cause it's kinda starting to bum me out." Willy Wonka, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

Who hasn't seen one of these movies? If you haven't then it's probably safe to say you've been living under a rock. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a classic. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is Tim Burton's  remake.  A lot of people I have talked to like the original better. I can see why, it's the original, based on the book, all that jazz. But I also see the other side, Tim Burton, in my opinion, is one of the best directors. Johnny Depp and Freddie Highmore are great actors. Helena Bonham Carter is in it, too, for all you Potterheads out there:) She plays Mrs. Bucket. It's nice to see her play a good character, versus an evil one like she was in Harry Potter. Me? I'm neutral. I love them both:) They each have their pros and cons, and there are things I like more about the first one, and things I like more about the remake, but I just can't choose a favorite.

So let's talk the original. Amazing actors in my opinion. They all played their parts nicely. It's very well made, I love the music in it, and I love when Grandpa Joe gets out of bed and walks for the first time in years:) Veruca is such a brat! "But daddy, I want it now!" HA! She got what she deserved! A nice little trip to the trash. And, of course, she just couldn't go with out daddy. The boat part used to scare me really bad. I don't really know why,  just always got freaked when it got to that part. One of the things I like more about this one is that there is a test to win the factory. In the remake it's just whoever doesn't end up having the Oompa Loompas sing about then. In this one they really have to prove that they deserve to win. They have to be 100% honest with Mr. Wonka and give him back the gobstopper. Just about my only complaint is that Charlie doesn't have dad. I like that better about the remake. He has a dad that tries to support them, but he just can't. And the factory is soooo much cooler!!:) And I like the squirrels better than the geese.

Now, on to the remake. I love the music in this one!:) Except the song they sing about Veruca. That one is a little annoying. I hate the puppets, though! They freak me out! I love all the extra detail they give about Willy Wonka's past. It adds dimension to his character. But, honestly, it's hard for me to think of Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka. I guess I've just seen him as a rum-drinking, insane, swash-buckling pirate for too long. I love Freddie Higmore, though! He is one of my favorite British actors! I've seen him in The Spiderwick Chronicles, August Rush, and Five Children and It. And he is good in all of them! I don't really like Grandpa Joe much in this one. He doesn't sing. Haha:) But that's not why. The guy in the original is just a better actor.







I feel like I'm on a picture overload haha:) Kinda crowded! I got picture happy:) And spellcheck doesn't like all these names! Or my hahas.
 So, tell me which one you like better and why or why not:)

No comments:

Post a Comment